Welcome to SEGL TV! We hope this new endeavor will help us stay connected in these difficult times.
See below for our program line-up! (If you would like to add programming to SEGL TV, please contact Natalia at email@example.com.)
To join the conversation, please scroll down and review the instructions labeled “Zoom Teleconferencing Software.” If this is your first time joining us for a conversation, set aside 10 minutes or so to get set up before the show.
If you have already used Zoom on your preferred device, please click the image below–we will begin at the listed time!
NOT-YET-SCHEDULED Programs (TIMES/DaTES TBA)
- The Spanish Flu of 1918 and COVID-19 – a discussion of the ethical dilemmas faced in 1918 that have echoes for us today with Lizzy Kildahl and Alison Pratt, SEGL History and Government Teachers.
- Virtual Networking Night: Grab the beverage of your choice, pick a virtual room, and change the world!
- May 24, 2020 – 4PM EDT: The Butter Broadcast: Time Capsules and Conversation. Join Adela Thompson Page (Fall 2019) and Nathalie Mitchell (DC Spring 2020) for a creative afternoon of discussion and hands-on time capsule making.
- May 17, 2020 – 4PM EDT: The Leaders of Tomorrow and the Problems of Today: The Importance of Youth Leadership in the 21st Century. SEGL is only the beginning of the path towards leadership. Join Onero Institute founder Elad Raymond (Fall ’16) for a discussion on why youth leadership is so important for creating positive change and how SEGLettes can lead after their semester experience.
- May 9, 2020 – 8PM EDT: Running for Office in the Coronavirus Era: A Conversation with New York State Assembly candidate Cameron Koffman and campaign manager Martin Rather (both Fall 2013). Hosted by fellow Fall 2013 graduate, Camille Ward.
- May 5, 2020 – 8PM EDT: SEGL’s Future in the COVID-19 era: A Conversation with Noah Bopp, Mairéad O’Grady and Christian Starling. Hosted by SEGL Fall 2018 graduate, India Glenn.
- April 30, 2020 – 8PM EDT: Vaccines, Therapeutics, Testing, and Isolation: How should we understand the present response of the United States to COVID-19? Join us for a conversation with SEGL Science Teacher, Alvin Fridie. Hosted by Nikki Farber (Spring 2019) and Manavi Sinha (Fall 2019).
- April 28, 2020 – 8PM EDT: Come to meet the DC and SA Spring 2020 students, hear about their semester so far, and provide them with an important opportunity to hone their networking skills at our semi-annual SEGL Networking Night (this time virtual!).
- April 25, 2020 – 7PM EDT: Virtual Networking Night for all SEGLettes (graduates, current students, and current and former faculty) hosted by Director of Graduate Affairs, Robbie Ross and Maylen Rafuls (both beloved former Faculty Members)
- April 23, 2020 – 7PM EDT: 60 Minutes with Shari: Watch and discuss “Born Good? Babies Help Unlock the Origins of Morality” with Emmy Award-winning producer Shari Finkelstein (Fall 2019 parent) hosted by Lara Yellin (Fall 2019 Graduate).
- April 19, 2020 – 3-4:30PM EDT: SEGL Live concert: Join SEGL graduate Abri Bernstein (AKA Abri Lirone) as she sings songs from her album Leaves Change and some popular favorites. Bring an instrument if you have one; we’ll try a virtual jam session when the concert is over! Hosted by former SEGL Academic Dean JD Gladden (who just might bring her ukulele to the festivities!)
- April 17, 2020 – 8PM EDT: Let’s join together to share humbles and a meal (virtually) as we did when we were together at SEGL. Hosted by Manavi Sinha and Nora Estrada (both Fall 2019).
- April 14, 2020 – 7PM EDT: The best possible bread-baking opportunity with Alyssa Skelley (SEGL Teaching Fellow, Residential Advisor and Admissions Assistant) and special guest Alvin Fridie (SEGL Science Teacher). Hosted by Will Magrone and Nora Estrada (both Fall 2019) – Alyssa’s RTG bread recipe here
- April 7, 2020 – 7PM EDT: COVID-19 and College Admissions: A Conversation with Dr. Pamela Ellis, “The Education Doctor” (Summer 2014 parent and SEGL’s consulting college counselor); links from Dr. Ellis’ segment include: – a free Virtual Campus Visit Guide; free webinar on How to Find the Right College; an app to deal with teen anxiety; College Prepalooza: Essays Made Easy webinar for high school juniors (special rate of $39 for SEGL families – use code SEGL2020). For more information or to contact Dr. Ellis, please visit https://compasscollegeadvisory.com/.
- April 2, 2020, 7PM EDT: Movie Night: Watch and discuss the Oscar-nominated documentary Cartel Land with its producer, Tom Yellin (Fall 2019 parent), hosted by Lara Yellin, SEGL Class of Fall 2019. Welcome and pre-screening discussion here. Post-screening discussion is here.
- April 1, 2020, 8PM EDT: Virtual Networking Night for all SEGLettes (graduates and current students) hosted by Natalie Caloca, SEGL Class of Spring 2017
- March 31, 2020, 7PM EDT: Wellness Chat: How to stay centered in the COVID-19 era with SEGL Director of Wellness Dr. Patricia Thomas, hosted by Tyrel London, SEGL Class of Fall 2012 – Resource links from Dr. Patty’s talk can be found here.
- March 27, 2020, 7:30AM EDT: How to travel around Capitol Hill and help your parents stay fit with Daisy Bopp (daughter of SEGL Head of School Noah Bopp) on her super fast scooter
- March 26, 2020, 8PM EDT: Virtual Networking Night for all SEGLettes (graduates and current students) hosted by Yvana Petros, SEGL Class of Fall 2013
- March 26, 2020, 12:45PM EDT: A conversation with Clark Neily, Vice President for Criminal Justice at the Cato Institute and 2018 SEGL Golden Mug Award Winner, hosted by Mia Felt, SEGL Class of Fall 2019
- March 24, 2020, 12PM EDT: Cooking with Susana Heureaux, SEGL’s Food Coordinator and Chef – Susana’s quinoa chili recipe can be found here.
OTHER COOL LIVE STREAMS
- Politics & Prose “P&P Live” channel: Join longtime SEGL guest speaker (and Golden Mug Award winner) Lissa Muscatine and the staff at DC institution Politics & Prose bookstore for conversations with top authors.
- Nightly Metropolitan Opera Streams: Watch encore presentations of the Metropolitan Opera’s best opera performances each night.
- BlkFrs TV: Watch Shakespeare performances live via Facebook.
Zoom Teleconferencing Software
SEGL TV is powered by teleconferencing software called Zoom. You do not need to sign up for Zoom or install the Zoom software to participate in our conversations, though there are a few limitations if you do not–namely, you will only be able to see the hosts during the conversation. If you do not want to sign up for and install Zoom, skip down to the appropriate instructions below.
Smartphone: To participate in a show using a smartphone (Android or iOS), install and sign up for Zoom using the app on your phone. Go back to your phone’s browser, and click the “Join the Conversation” logo above. It will open Zoom on your phone and take you directly to the conversation.
Computer: To participate in a show using a computer, you can sign up for and install Zoom here. If you already use Google products (like GMail), you can sign up using the “Sign In with Google” button. Once you’re done, click the logo above, and install Zoom using the “download and run Zoom” button. It will then take you to the conversation.
If you do not want to sign up for and install Zoom: Click the logo above, then click “start from your browser.” It will look like the image below. Then, enter your name in the correct prompt. No need to install Zoom!
Using Zoom: Once you’re in the conference room, you’ll receive a prompt to “Join Audio by Computer.” Click that link.
If you are using a web browser, Zoom will now ask to access your microphone. Allow it to do so by clicking “allow” on the prompt that appears. Now, click on the camera in the lower left hand corner. Zoom will now ask to access your webcam; allow it to do so. You should only have to do this once:
Your microphone will be muted once you enter the conversation, but the hosts and the other guests will be able to see you. You may turn your webcam off by clicking the camera in the lower left hand corner again. If a host has invited you to speak during a conversation, you’ll need to turn your microphone on by clicking the microphone button, also at the lower left corner of your screen.